Elementary Programs (6 to 12 Years Old)
The Elementary program is for students from 6 to 12 years old and is organized into two three-year cycles: Lower Elementary for 6 to 9 year olds and Upper Elementary for 9 to 12 year olds. As in the Primary classes, students spend all three years in the same classroom, building community with one another and deepening relationships with teachers. Elementary-aged children continue to learn through the use of concrete materials as they move gradually toward increasingly abstract thinking. The Elementary lessons and materials are multi-sensory, dramatic, and impressionistic, serving to ignite the imagination and curiosity of the students.
Upper Elementary Program (9 to 12 Years Old)
A defining period of social and intellectual exploration
- Upper Elementary combines 4th, 5th and 6th grades in a dynamic multi-age classroom. Students build important social and leadership skills in a respectful environment.
- Our Upper Elementary curriculum aligns with state standards and frameworks—and goes above and beyond by integrating Montessori methods and experiential learning throughout.
- Our hands-on science program is based on a highly regarded, inquiry-based approach.
- Field studies keep students fully immersed in learning.
- Students leave Upper Elementary prepared and eager to take on the academic rigor, increased independence, and in-depth experiential learning in MSD's Middle School.